When I turned 50, I decided to show up in the world differently. I wanted to show up fitter, positively, kinder, loving, lovable and accessible.
So, I decided to work on myself and went to gym.
The prime motive being to become the full expression of my soul.
I set up the following a protocol of exercises to achieve this.
Here’s the workout, you’re welcome to use it:
- Physical. This body has been gifted to you for a short time to carry your soul, treasure it. Treat it with the respect it deserves. Feed it good nutrition if you can afford to. Exercise it. Don’t put toxins in it. Be kind to it.
- Mental. Your brain is the most essential part of your body. Use it, that’s what it is meant there for. Don’t be scared to stretch it and fill it. Stretch it with delightful, enchanting and energising thoughts. Fill it with the knowledge of the ages. Feed it right so that when you move across the river Styx, it’s as lucid as the day you were born. Nourish it with these genius foods: Olive oil, eggs, dark chocolate (85%+), salmon, grass-fed beef, avocado and blueberries.
- Emotional. Show up like a grown up. Give every situation it’s due. Act appropriately in every situation. Know when to be kind and know when to be courageous. Open your heart to everybody and treat them with kindness. But be courageous too … call them on their bullshit, selfishness, delusion, slothfulness, avarice, ego and pride. That’s the only way they’ll grow.
- Security. If you have a job or a business, and have people relying on you, show up like a grown up here too. Take this piece seriously. Your soul battles to express itself fully, if you’re insecure, uncertain, unfulfilled, disillusioned and disappointed. This world is benign to you. It is set up to serve you, enchant you and enlighten you. You’re the point of this entire endeavour. So, let it do its work. But you have to show up and do the work too.
- Relationships. Ultimately, we’re all looking for connection. Don’t be a doos. Just be a decent human. Once you get that you’re not here for you but for the other, this entire endeavour works better. Don’t go into any relationship for what you can get out of it. Always go into a relationship for what you can give. Don’t take your wounding out on others. We know that hurt people hurt people. Don’t be that person. Stop trying to fix others. They’ll do fine without your input. Rather mind your own business and focus on fixing yourself. There’s enough work there to last you several lifetimes, I promise you.
- Community. You’re in a cohort of souls. Tread lightly here. What you do has consequences. What you do matters. What you say has power. Your character is revealed in how you treat small men, and not how you treat big men that you think can move your agenda forward. God is in everyone. When you dismiss anyone, you dismiss God. Don’t take your standing in this world too seriously. When Charon takes you across the river Styx to the underworld, you’re not going to be able to cash in your status, influence and power to get you out of his boat. He’s immovable. When the book of your life is read back to you by the angel, be you a president or a pauper, you’ll be held to account equally. So, don’t take yourself too seriously, seriously.
I run my life through the filter of these six workouts every day so that I can navigate this gymnasium that has been built for me, with elegance, eloquence and courtesy.
I’ve got to tell you, I’ve still got a shitload of work to make this endeavour work. The only thing I have got going in my favour is that I’m committed to consistently showing up at the gymnasium and working out.
Do you want to join me? It’s not easy, but I think it’s worth it.