Do not hire a man who does your work for money, but him who does it for love of it. Henry David Thoreau
This quote really resonates with me. One of the biggest challenges a sales manager faces is finding talent that actually love the sales game.
Let’s be honest. When thinking of a career path, most folks weren’t thinking: “I really want to become a sales rep”, were they?
No, most sales people probably had another plan for their life. But for whatever reason, they weren’t qualified enough to enter the field they wanted to be in or they couldn’t find a job in their field.
So, what do you do when you can’t find a job? Yes, you become a sales representative.
Let’s face it. In the past there has been a low barrier to entry to get into a sales career. If you had a pulse and half a personality, you were in.
So, what does the customer expect from exceptional sales talent?
- Must be passionate about his/her own business
- Must be an expert in his/her field
- Must understand the customer’s business
- Must be on the customer’s side
- Must be upbeat and positive
- Must come up with creative solutions to improve the customer’s life and not just be an order taker
And, what should the sales manager expect from exceptional sales talent?
- That they love the game and are not just in it for the money
- That they consider sale as a profession and a calling. Not a part-time career until their real job pops up
So, if you can find a sales person who ‘loves the game’, then you are well on your way to having a recruit that is going to do the business for you.